Cauliflower Grilled Cheeseleo
For those who can’t tolerate gluten, here’s a healthier alternative to grilled cheese. Roasted cauliflower steaks are prepped, then wrapped around your favorite cheeses! Add tomatoes and you have a gluten free, vegetarian option for any time of the day!
Cauliflower Grilled CheeseCuisine: vegan
1 small head cauliflower
¼ cup olive oil
½ stick unsalted butter
ground black pepper to taste
2 slices Gouda cheese
2 slices sharp Cheddar cheese
2 slices beefsteak tomato
- Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Place a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in the oven.
- Cut the bottom leaves off the cauliflower, taking care not to cut off the stem. Place the cauliflower stem-side up on a cutting board; cut vertically down both sides of the stem to remove the florets. Reserve them for another use. Cut vertically through the stem into 2 even “steaks”, about 1 inch thick. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- In a preheated oven, roast cauliflower until soft and browned, about 15 minutes.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and butter. When butter has melted, add cauliflower and cook until browned on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip cauliflower and shift to one side of the pan so you have space to warm cheese slices.
- Place cheese slices in the pan and let them melt. Then, place them over the cauliflower steaks. Warm tomato slices in the same way. Season with black pepper. Cover both cheeses and tomatoes with a second steak. Flip “sandwich” and cook over low heat until cheeses are melted, 2 to 3 minutes more.